Don’t miss the excitement of the 2nd annual Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire this September! The Faire will present 6 hours of demos, workshops, performances and spectacle that highlight the cutting edge and creative work of makers throughout southwestern PA. From amazing 3D printers to inspiring kid inventors, bring the whole family and reserve your tickets now! See our Attend tab for extra info and a list of discounts.
Seeing the Future at PMMF 2011. Photo by Larry Rippel
Today, Thursday, August 16, is a surprise BONUS DAY for maker applicants to the Call for Makers! If you meant to apply, started to apply or just now heard about the incredible plans for Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire, get your application in before midnight tonight. Click here to begin.
Making music in the giant DIY yurt during Pgh Mini Maker Faire 2011.
The Call for Makers for 2012 is almost over! MAKE time to apply – in the midst of your crocheting, soldering, blacksmithing, printmaking, programming, weaving, rewiring – before you miss your chance to exhibit in the 2012 Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire.
*NOTE: A few makers have asked us about this “Round I / Round II” business. Both calls are open to everyone – Round I was just an early bird round. So apply today! The Faire won’t be the same without you.
Maker Faire Detroit was held this past weekend at the Henry Ford Museum and a contingent of Pittsburgh makers traveled north to represent our region at one of the largest Faires in the country. We’re proud to share some of the shout-outs already online lauding Pittsburgh’s makers in Detroit this year!
Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire announces this year’s Round I selected makers, who will exhibit, demonstrate, perform and teach as part of the 2nd annual faire on Sept. 22, 2012 from 10am-4pm at Buhl Community Park and the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh on Pittsburgh’s North Side.
The Call for Makers is still open until the Round II deadline on August 15th and makers of all ages are invited to get inspired by Round I and apply today. Faire planners are particularly interested in Round II applications in the categories of Spectacle and Indie Craft.
Click here to tour the 26 Round I selections, including these highlights:
- The Great American Horn Machine – the world’s loudest mobile musical instrument – a collection of truck, train and ships’ airhorns and steam whistles.
- Movable Type – Literary Arts Boom and area teens engage participants in creating wearable words for a live action, madcap “Mad Lib” experience.
- Mechanimals – Roboticist Jason Bannister showcases his biomimetic robot animals, including a robot kangaroo, robot giraffe, robot bee and walks and flys and more.
- Touchstone Center for Craft – the maker jewel of the Laurel Highlands, Touchstone will wow the crowd with upcycled blacksmithing demonstrations in a real forge.
- Spare Room Workshop – the local dynamos behind this startup will create t-shirt for you on the spot from your own hand-drawing using digital tools and a vinyl plotting machine.
- HackPittsburgh – Faire co-presenters HackPittsburgh will inspire YOU to be a maker with their inventive, sometimes-wacky, always impressive project showcase. Last year’s booth involved a homemade weather balloon and a Cheez-Whiz squirting robot!
- Children’s Innovation Project – Learn basic circuitry and how to reuse parts of electrical toys from local elementary students who will astound you with their knowledge.
- Constructing Identity – bring your camera for a fashion show of elaborate costumes built by local GLBTQ teens during summer workshops. Then take to the catwalk open for anyone with handmade wearables to strut!
- Tubular Travelers – Build a rideable vehicle from innovative modular parts with artist and inventor Dave Edwards.
- Learn to Solder – this visitor-favorite from last year’s Faire returns as Wayne and Layne, HackPittsburgh and the MAKESHOP help you solder your own cool blinkie badge to wear around the Faire
Plus 16 more incredible makers … Don’t miss your chance to exhibit alongside them at Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire 2012. Apply today!
Pittsburgh Mini Maker Faire is hunting for the most inventive makers around to help us mount one of the most vibrant mini maker faires in the world! The first deadline is just 1 week away on June 30th. Click the Call for Makers tab to apply and check out this video for glimpses of the action from the first annual Faire last year. Share this video widely with makers YOU know!
Special thanks to WDO Photography and THE MAKESHOP SHOW™ for producing this video.